About Us‎ > ‎

Notes

This section contains our notes from meeting minutes, which can also be found as topics of discussion in our Organizational Google Group, http://groups.google.com/group/johnshopkinsimaging/topics


2012-05-22: HI^2 Conference Planning

posted May 24, 2012, 2:13 PM by Lindsay Wendel

·         Updates:

o   Registration and Abstract Submission System: Di and Geran

§  Use EasyChair.  Will do registration and abstract submission.  May have to e-mail abstracts to reviewers.

§  Require specific format for abstracts. (suppress type in your abstract box)

§  Require key words for abstract so we can sort them.  Have fixed categories, make submitter pick one. 

·         Last year: acquisition (pick your modality), analysis, application

o   Let’s do this!  Will give broad representation from all categories.

o   Budget: Lindsay

§  Budget same as last year (Total: $2300-2500)

·         Food & Refreshments: $1300-1400

·         Prizes: $1000

·         AV System: $100

§  Start with inside speakers (lots left from last year),  Can invite outside speakers

o   Rooms and Date: Bradley

§  November 16

§  Lectures: 1-2:00pm

§  Posters: 2:15-3:15pm (1 or 2 sessions depending upon # submitted)

§  Lectures: 3:30-5pm

§  Poster Awards! 5pm in auditorium

§  Auditorium and Concourse reserved 10-7

§  Fall: Break lecture chunks into time slots, invite speakers

·         On the Table:

o   Reviewers: Start recruiting poster judges and abstract reviewers (do in fall, doesn’t take more than a few weeks, make committee do it)

o   Volunteers: count people need at each time (e.g. # registration tables) and have sign up for specific time slots in advance

o   Get walkie talkies from Issel

o   Scoring System (Nicolas and Jaymin)

§  Rank!

·         In case of tie, split prize or have extra judge go run out.

·         Have someone type scores into pre-programmed spreadsheet, etc.

§  Best overall combined.  All reviewers count equally.  Abstract 1/3, Poster 2/3 if 3 judges for each.

§  Contingency plan if issue with poster reviewers.  Have lots of alternate reviewers. (Last year: 10 professors, 10 postdocs, 10 graduate students for abstracts.  All postdocs and professors for posters, grad students as needed)

o   Poster Session Layout

§  Put food on both ends (same in each place).  Don’t limit initially (makes people not come back). 

§  Need lots of signs (outside by security guard, to food, to registration, to command center)

§  Alcohol at command center

§  Registration upstairs and downstairs

§  Geran has picture of layout for Turner Concourse

o   No theme, open to all topics.

o   When to start contacting speakers (Jenn) (fall)

§  Need to decide who will introduce speakers.  Student hosts?

o   Publicity (Kwame, Lindsay)

§  Emails, fliers, website, calendars, etc.

§  Timetable for advertisement

·         Me: 1 e-mail June 15th, 1 July 15th, 1 August 1st, 1 August 15th

·         Wait for the fall to do posters.

·         Kwame: calendars and website!

§  Extent of advertising for opening of registration (June 15th if ready)

§  Check center and department websites for updates dept. admin e-mails (bcc!)

o   Registration Timeline:

§  Announce conference and open registration June 15

§  No registration deadline, but random prize to 1 pre-registrant

§  Abstracts Due: Monday, September 17th at midnight (extend to 9/19 for bad formatting, more abstracts, etc.)

§  Give abstracts to reviewers by Friday 9/21

§  Reviewers return abstract scores by 10/15

§  Results to abstract submitters 10/26

2012-04-25: HI^2 Conference Planning

posted May 24, 2012, 2:10 PM by Lindsay Wendel

·         Intros

·         Feedback from last year’s conference: Veterans

o   Change schedule: 1 long (1.5 hr) poster session in middle afternoon (2- 45 min chunks)

§  No more than 40 posters per session (expect less this year since only past 1 year) (Decide if only 40 or 2 sessions when see how many submitted)

§  Need to enforce switching time- more manpower/designated enforcers

§  Reviewers: Some don’t show up.  Ask entire imaging list.  Ask what topics they’d like to review.  Last year: 10 professors, 10 postdocs, 10 graduate students.  No one judge their own lab’s posters.  Assign as many as possible in advance.

§  Use EasyChair anonymous abstract submission software.  Free for conferences.  Also looking other options.  EasyChair quite convenient.

§  Link abstract submission to registration so automatically registered for conference when submit an abstract

§  Put up signs in Turner to guide lost people to the auditorium

§  List posters alphabetically by author/presenter last name

§  Don’t hide the pizza or buy less.

§  Theme for this year or cover everything?  If invite speakers, give at least 30 min (4-6 lecturers)

·         Leaders and Volunteers for Sub-Committees:

o   Food (lunch, snacks, drinks) -> Bradley and Geran

§  Nice snacks, sandwiches, tea, coffee, wraps, cookies, etc.

§  Pizza for volunteers

o   Finances -> Bradley

§  Need to get a budget set

o   Abstracts Submission and Registration (abstract submission, poster selection, registration) -> Di and Geran

§  EasyChair can do abstract submission and registration

o   Abstract Judging (abstract reviewers)-> Nicolas and Jaymin (scoring algorithm)

o   Speaker Coordination (schedule, hosts, parking, gifts) -> Jenn (share Google Docs)

o   Programs -> Lindsay

o   Poster Session Logistics (poster boards, layout, poster reviewers)

o   Public Relations (website updates, fliers, e-mail announcements, calendars, imaging video?) -> Kwame (E-mails: Lindsay)

§  Check center and department websites for updates dept. admin e-mails (bcc!)

o   Volunteers, Prizes, and Supplies (Name tags, plastic ware, AV equipment, pens)

§  AV: Pay for mic in concourse, wireless mic and projector in auditorium

·         Date, Times, and Structure for the Conference: Bradley

o   November 16!

o   Lectures: 1-2:00pm

o   Posters: 2:15-3:15pm

o   Lectures: 3:30-5pm

o   Auditorium and Concourse reserved 10-7

o   Meetings to Check: (All good this year)

§  JHU Fall Break/Columbus Day

§  IEE-MIC

§  SFN

§  ISMRM deadline

§  OctobCEST

§  MR/sion Retreat

§  MICCAI

§  RNSA

·         Timeline for conference planning

·         Abstract Submission Deadlines:

o   Abstracts Due: Tuesday, September 18th (extend to 9/19)

o   Give abstracts to reviewers by Friday 9/19

o   Reviewers return abstract scores by 9/15

o   Results to abstract submitters 9/26

·         Announce conference and open registration June 15

o   Test EasyChair in May

o   No registration deadline, but random prize to 1 pre-registrant

·         Scoring of Abstracts and Posters:

o   Rank or Score?

o   Overall awards or separate awards for posters and abstracts?

o   Need to agree on a scoring system!!!

o   Best overall combined.  All reviewers count equally.  Abstract 1/3, Poster 2/3 if 3 judges for each.

§  Contingency plan if issue with poster reviewers.  Have lots of alternate reviewers.

o   Combined everything!

·         By next meeting ( mid-late May):

o   Determine budget (Lindsay)

o   Confirm date and room reservation (Bradley)

o   Test EasyChair software for registration and abstract submission (Di and Geran)

2012-04-12 HI^2 Spring Organizational Meeting

posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:48 PM by Issel Anne Lim   [ updated Apr 12, 2012, 1:18 PM ]

Attendees:
  • Dr. McVeigh
  • Issel
  • Geran
  • Bradley
  • Jaymin
  • Kwame
  • Liheng
  • Lindsay
  • Jennifer
  • Dan
  • Domenico
  • Dr. Brasic

Notes:
  • New trainees have joined the TPTRI, and are therefore taking over the committees! The new structure is below:
  • Directive Leaders
    • One senior student (>= 3rd year) and one junior student (2nd year)
    • Issel will be graduating, so we're looking for a senior student to take over as Directive leader...
    • Possibilities: Sahar Soleimanifard, Amir Pourmorteza, Jessica Mavadia, Sajendra Nithiananthan
  • Committee Leaders
    • Networking Comittee
      • Leaders: Sahar Soleimanifard, Liheng Guo, Sarah Friedman
      • Members: Domenico Zaca, Di Xu
      • Sub-Committees:
        • Professional Interests
          • Leaders: Sahar Soleimanifard, Liheng Guo
          • Professional database, Hopkins Imaging Research Blog, Happy Hours, Career Panels
        • Recruiting
          • Leaders: Sarah Friedman
          • Reaching out to top talent for the BME program, specifically imaging
    • Conference Committee
      • Leaders: Lindsay Wendel, Geran Kostecki, Bradley Harden
      • Members: Jennifer Xu, Issel Anne Lim, Jaymin Patel
      • New committee (used to be part of Networking)
      • Conference Planning: beginning of October
        • Bradley: reserve Turner
        • Geran: share docs
        • Lindsay: start recruiting lecturers, think about posters, prizes, etc.
        • Jaymin: how to digitally upload abstracts and make submissions anonymous
    • Lectures Committee
      • Leaders: Sajendra Nithiananthan, Jennifer Xu
      • Plan seminars, chalk talks, organize questions and faculty speakers
    • Resource Committee
      • Leaders: Kwame Kutten, Dan Wu
      • Sub-Committees:
        • Curriculum
          • Leaders: Jessica Mavadia, Shadi Toghi-Eshgi
          • This database already exists; if new classes arise, then the Resource Committee Leader can add them to the website
          • Residency Courses: (Clinical Series 2012, similar to 2011)
            • Leader: Shiva
            • Get schedule for residency classes and organize attendance from HII members
        • Compilation
          • Leaders: Kwame Kutten, Dan Wu
          • Members: Jennifer Xu, Di Xu
          • Maintain website, mailing lists, calendar announcements
    • Finance Committee
      • Leaders: Bradley Harden
      • Apply for funding from GRO, GSA, BME
      • Coordinate refreshments and supplies for conference, meetings, etc.
      • Keep track of spending and balance the budget

Acknowledgments
  • Thanks to Bradley for organizing food!
  • Thanks to Kwame for emailing out the announcements every week!
  • Thanks to the new leaders who will be taking over. :)


2012-03-08 HII 2011 Review

posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:56 AM by Geran Kostecki   [ updated Apr 12, 2012, 12:49 PM by Issel Anne Lim ]

  • Attendees:
    • Geran
    • Jaymin
    • Kwame
    • Brad
    • Issel
  • Discussed changes to make from last year:
    • Add Finance Committee to handle bank acct, expenses, reimbursements, receipts, etc.
    • Change conference format to posters-lecture-posters-lecture
    • General meetings every 6-8 weeks
  • Planned for first general meeting
    • (Sub)committee Leaders:
      • Please email Geran the responsibilities and accomplishments of any position you have filled as well as why people might be interested in that position
      • Please make a slide to talk about your position in the first meeting
    • Brad or I will try to get food for our first meeting 

2011-10-01 Hopkins Imaging Conference Planning (Update)

posted Oct 1, 2011, 2:45 PM by Issel Anne Lim   [ updated Oct 4, 2011, 11:48 AM ]

Update on our various tasks:

Task List:
  • Kwame:
    • Populate our new lists.johnshopkins.edu mailing lists with the email addresses from the Google Groups, the Imaging Initiative Organization Spreadsheet, the Registrants for the Conference spreadsheet
    • Use the python script on the Accepted Abstracts spreadsheet to find the PI with the most submissions
    • Go to GRO meeting and apply for extra conference/lecture funding (anyone else want to come? free pizza! Monday at 6p)
      • Received!! Thanks to Kwame and Di for presenting the Imaging Conference! :)
  • Bradley:
    • Finalize the food plan: Papa John's pizza, veggie, snack items, plasticware, napkins, etc. from Costco (see Accounting spreadsheet for more details)
    • Drinks: keg, alcohol
    • Finalize prices/amounts/who's-in-charge-of-what on financing spreadsheet
    • Coordinate the coffee with Joyce 
      • --> too expensive; no refreshments during actual conference
    • Get a volunteer to get the coolers from the GSA office on Thursday and/or take them back on Friday
  • Geran
    • Assign numbers / positions for each poster
    • Create a map for the layout of the poster presentations
    • Create ballots for judges (assigning five random posters to each judge; each poster is judged by at least one person with a PhD; final decisions tabulated by 6:40pm)
    • After October 1st: Compile reviewer scores and rankings from the abstracts (these will be counted towards the Research Competition)
  • Issel: 
    • Add Mehmet, Dan, Mark to the mailing list
    • Email departmental administrators next Monday then Tues/Weds before the conference
    • Email professors a reminder about their lecture times
    • Email about October 1st deadline: poster confirmation (to authors who haven't responded), reviewer deadlines, registration
    • Certificates / envelopes for poster prizes?
    • Create Imaging Initiative powerpoint for conference introduction and conference conclusion (with map / poster layout)
    • Create program (include funding from GRO, TPTRI, BME, GSA Coolers, Kirby Printing)
    • Email poster authors about what to do
    • Email reviewers about what to do
  • Volunteering at Conference:
    • Mehmet Erturk, Mark Mentzer, Dan Wu, Di Xu, Yi Zhang
    • ** Put up signs for conference and registration and food
    • ** Put programs on different tables
    • ** Put up easels and figure out when to ask authors to set up posters
Thank you to everyone for your help!

2011-09-23 Hopkins Imaging Conference Planning

posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:22 PM by Issel Anne Lim   [ updated Oct 3, 2011, 9:04 AM ]

Attendees:
Geran Kostecki, Bradley Harden, Di Xu, Kwame Kutten, Mehmet Erturk, Yi Zhang, Mark Mentzer, Dan Wu, Issel Anne Lim

Task List:
  • Kwame:
    • Populate our new lists.johnshopkins.edu mailing lists with the email addresses from the Google Groups, the Imaging Initiative Organization Spreadsheet, the Registrants for the Conference spreadsheet
    • Use the python script on the Accepted Abstracts spreadsheet to find the PI with the most submissions
    • Go to GRO meeting and apply for extra conference/lecture funding (anyone else want to come? free pizza! Monday at 6p)
  • Bradley:
    • Finalize the food plan: Papa John's pizza, veggie, snack items, plasticware, napkins, etc. from Costco (see Accounting spreadsheet for more details)
    • Drinks: keg, alcohol
    • Finalize prices/amounts/who's-in-charge-of-what on financing spreadsheet
    • Coordinate the coffee with Joyce
  • Geran
    • Assign numbers / positions for each poster
    • Create a map for the layout of the poster presentations
    • Create ballots for judges (assigning five random posters to each judge; each poster is judged by at least one person with a PhD; final decisions tabulated by 6:40pm)
    • After October 1st: Compile reviewer scores and rankings from the abstracts (these will be counted towards the Research Competition)
  • Issel: 
    • Add Mehmet, Dan, Mark to the mailing list
    • Email departmental administrators next Monday then Tues/Weds before the conference
    • Email professors a reminder about their lecture times
    • Email about October 1st deadline: poster confirmation (to authors who haven't responded), reviewer deadlines, registration
    • Certificates / envelopes for poster prizes?
    • Create Imaging Initiative powerpoint for conference introduction and conference conclusion (with map / poster layout)
  • Volunteering at Conference:
    • Mehmet Erturk, Mark Mentzer, Dan Wu, Di Xu, Yi Zhang

Volunteers:
All conference volunteers will wear [blue/colored] nametags. (Registrants will have plain white nametags.)
  • Conference Director/MC: Issel Anne Lim
  • Conference Director/Manager: Geran Kostecki, Bradley Harden
  • AV / Keg Coordination: Bradley Harden
  • Refreshments
    • Getting drinks/food, coordinating with pizza delivery
    • Bradley Harden, Mehmet Erturk, Yi Zhang
  • Camera/Recording:
    • Recording the conference lectures, interviewing / taking photos at the Happy Hour
    • Video: Carmen Kut
    • Photo: Carlos Renjifo
  • Guess That Image! Competition
    • Presentation and tabulating ballots: Jaymin Patel
    • Projector from McVeigh Lab: Liheng Guo
  • Attendee Registration tables
    • Greeting conference registrants, handing out schedules, etc.
    • Dan Wu (more needed!!)
  • Poster Registration tables 
    • Showing people where to put their posters, handing out Peer Choice ballots
    • Di Xu, Dan Wu, Yi Zhang
  • Poster Reviewers/Judges
  • Score Tabulation and Awards
    • Geran Kostecki, Issel Anne Lim

Notes:
  • Abstract update: More details on the Imaging Posters 2011 list
    • Group 1: ~82: Accepted for Research Competition 
    • Group 2: ~20: May still present poster; eligible for Peer Choice competition
    • Group 3: May not present poster
    • About 40 have confirmed
  • The travel mugs have arrived! They feature the monochromatic logo (designed by Issel) found in our Logos section. 
  • Judging the Posters:
    • Each poster will be judged twice (and at least one of the reviewers will have a PhD)
    • Each judge will review a group of five posters. They will rank each poster from 1st through 5th place in that particular group and grade each poster for technical merit and originality/innovation.
    • Each judge will receive a pre-assigned group of posters.
  • Peer choice ballots will be available at the Poster Registration tables at the Happy Hour.
  • Programs will be available at the top entrance of Turner Auditorium (across from Rutland Avenue), then near the coffee stands (at the front and back of the auditorium).
  • Programs will include: lecture/conference schedule, list of posters that will be presented, map of where posters are located, tear-away peer-choice ballot
  • Two posters can be posted per foamcore board:
    • Session A: 5:30pm - 6:00pm: on the front (A01 - A50)
    • Session B: 6:10pm - 6:40pm: on the back (B01 - B50)

Thank you all for helping!

2011-08-09 HII Conference Planning

posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:38 PM by Geran Kostecki

Attendees:
  • Geran
  • Issel
  • Jaymin
  • Brad
  • Yi
  • Kwame
Things Accomplished:
  • No student presentations
  • Deadline for abstracts: September 6th
  • HII members will judge abstracts
  • Registration prize: $50 to thinkgeek.com
Tasks assigned:
  • Ask Jessica about Li -Geran
  • Invite Dr. Miller - Kwame
  • Get reply from Dr. Tsui - Brad
  • Price food - Geran and Brad
  • Price Prizes - Yi
  • Make conference announcement - Issel
  • Make conference page and registration form - Jaymin
Things Remaining:
  • Finalize Schedule
  • Invite people to judge abstracts

2011-07-29 Networking/Professional Interests Committee Meeting

posted Jul 31, 2011, 10:18 AM by Sahar Soleimanifard   [ updated Jul 31, 2011, 10:57 AM ]

Attendees: Sahar, Kwame, Issel
  • Agenda
    • Imaging faculty database

  • Updates on Data Sheet
    • Radiology, ECE, CS faculties complete. ME, AMS, and BME partially complete. Public Health and APL missing.
  • Tasks Discussed
    • Create a new section on the website for researchers profiles with the following information for each faculty member:
      • Name
      • Title (ie. professor, chair, etc.)
      • Primary and Secondary Department
      • Website
      • Research Interests
    • Create categorical tags based on research interests (Modality, Physiology, Departments) in addition to alphabetical listing of faculties. 
    • Create a separate blog (linked to the website) with faculty interviews, in-depth research descriptions, academic history, available positions, etc.
  • Tasks Assigned
    • Kwame: Create a researcher profile example
    • Sahar: Draft an email to faculties (ask for their permission for sharing information, alumni contacts, and invite to join the initiative)
** Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hopkins-Imaging-Initiative 
** Connect with us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Hopkins-Imaging-Initiative-HI-2

2011-07-07 Lectures Committee Meeting

posted Jul 22, 2011, 1:47 PM by Carmen Kut   [ updated Jul 22, 2011, 2:13 PM ]

Summary and action items:
 
1) Sajendra (subcommittee leader, Chalk talk): create google spreadsheet for list of recommended speakers for chalk talks. We can set up meeting with Dr. McVeigh once we have an initial list of speakers, ideally around late July/early August)
 
2) Farhad (subcommittee leader, student presentations): speak with 3rd/4th year students and assess interest/ideas for student presentations @ BME seminars. We can have best-presentation of the semester awards as well. We can tag this on the agenda when we talk with Dr. McVeigh in late July/early August about the chalk talks)
 
3) Jaymin (subcommittee leader, Imaging competition): create google spreadsheet on imaging topics, set up subcommittee meeting, coordinate with Di for video recording/youtube account set up, set up example videos etc. 
 
4) Kwame (subcommittee leader, HII challenge): Look into robo-challenge and speak with contact person (Carol Reiley?) Website link is http://cissrs.lcsr.jhu.edu/JHRC2011 
 
5) Nirbhay (subcommittee member, imaging competition): help Jaymin with image competition project.
 
Other info:
1) once we hear back about the volunteering grant we’ll know whether to go through with the HIV patient project
 
2) We'll be applying for the alumni $1500 grant for HII next fall so let know know if you have a proposed budget for any HII Project! We’ll need cost justifications etc.
 
3) Next committee meeting targeted in late August/early September

2011-07-19 Networking Conference Planning Meeting

posted Jul 22, 2011, 10:58 AM by Geran Kostecki

Attendees:
-Geran
-Yi
-Hassan
-Nikolaos
-Issel
-Brad
-Jaymin
-Kwame

Things accomplished:
-Decided which clinicians to invite
-Decided conference will be in Turner Concourse and Turner Auditorium
-Set October 6th as the date pending Dr. McVeigh's availability
-Decided abstract format will be ISMRM

Tasks assigned:
-Draft invitation letter - Issel
-Invite Professors:
McVeigh-Geran
Van Zijl - Issel
Xingde Li - Jessica
Miller - Kwame
Tsui - Brad
Prince - Yi
-Contact GSA about funds for happy hour and A/V, and easels/boards - Geran
-Book conference rooms when date known for sure - Brad

Things to do next meeting:
-Decide whether we want student presentations
-Finalize schedule (again)
-Decide a deadline for abstracts
-Send out an announcement for the conference
-Send out a call for abstracts
-Decide who will judge abstracts
-Invite people to judge abstracts
-Assign somebody to set up registration form on imaging website

 


1-10 of 18